I am unsure if you know by now, but I plan to have Abigail at home. It was a choice made for a couple reasons.
- I’ve had a natural birth (no meds etc) with Noah and just about fully with Jeremiah as well (last few min spinal tap and forceps).
- It’s WAY cheaper! Noah cost us, out of pocket about 8k! Having a midwife has cost $2550 out of pocket.
There are so many plus’ to having a home birth in my opinion, just to name a few..
- The comfort of your own home.
- No need to pack a hospital bag
- No need to travel with your newborn for a few days/weeks
- Comfortable bed to sleep in right away
- No need to travel while in labor – The help comes to you
Of course these can also bring out some fears. We are programmed to rely on doctors/hospitals when it comes to birth, as if it’s not completely natural.
If you asked me to consider a home birth with my first born I would have been completely turned off. “NO WAY!” would be my answer. The fear of birth was overwhelming to me. The thought of doing it “on my own” (so I thought) in my home scared me to death!
With my second born, I considered home birth. But there were no options out there for me, so I just changed hospitals, as the first one was not the best experience. I was a little leery of home birth still, but a little more open to it, as I had experienced birth (a VERY hard labor) already, I felt more confident to do it again.
So here I am going forward with home birth. So far I’ve loved every minute of the process. It’s so much more natural! No poking or prodding. I feel as though I am visiting a friend when I visit with my midwife. I am looking forward to her help while having Abigail. As an added bonus, she is also a doula! I was thrilled to learn this. I’ve always been curious about one.
Have you considered having a home birth? Have you had one?
Would love to know your thoughts!
I cannot wait to let you all know how it goes.