How to make lotion
When I saw this I got excited. My thoughts: “NO WAY!”
Making lotion? I didn’t think it was possible!
This is seriously SO cool! I can’t wait to try this!
When I run out of my current lotion, I am going to make this one.
- Clean bottle or jar
- 1 cup lotion base oil – (Coconut, Almond, even Canola or Vegetable oils can work)
- 1 tbsp. emulsifying wax (or bee’s wax -chopped or grated))
- 1/2 cup water
- Essential oil
- Food coloring optional
- Glass mixing bowl
- Microwave or stove top and pot
- Choose a lotion oil base that reflects what you want the lotion to do. Coconut oil is great for soft skin. Almond oil is lightweight and has very little natural smell. You can even use regular canola or vegetable oil to make a homemade lotion. If you intend to scent your lotion with essential oils, choose a lotion oil base with little smell of its own.
- Pour one cup of the oil into a pot or microwave safe bowl. Add the tbsp. of emulsifying wax. Beeswax(chopped or grated) is a good all-natural wax to use. Melt these ingredients together and stir well. Stir in the water until the lotion reaches the consistency you like. Less water will create a homemade cream that is richer and thicker than the lotion.
- Add your choice of essential oils or other fragrances to the lotion base. You can also use aromatherapy oils such as lavender for relaxation or rose for a sensual experience.
- Add color to your homemade lotion with natural vegetable and plant based food coloring or dyes. Add just a few drops of color to the lotion at a time until you reach your desired color. Matching colors with scents of lotion is a good idea–purple for lavender scented lotion or pink for rose scented lotion
- Transfer the homemade lotion into a clean glass or plastic bottle or jar. These can be purchased from craft stores or beauty supply stores. Use a funnel to get the lotion inside without drips or spills. To help your homemade lotion last a long time, store it in a cool, dark place.
There was one warning really that stuck out.
Use homemade lotions before they break down or get moldy. (I can’t find how long that is..when I do I will post it here.)
You can buy the Emulsifying Wax from amazon, or I read at Hobby Lobby.
You can also buy ORGANIC Hand Poured Beeswax from amazon. I recommend this, as it’s more natural.