As I stood in the kitchen to determine where I would start, I decided on the measuring utensils.
I had them stashed in a drawer. I have in the past tried to organize by putting the teaspoons and such in a small basket that fits in a drawer, and the measuring cups stacked inside each other, but it never STAYS that way. Well, the teaspoon basket did, but not the measuring cups. I just threw them in the drawer.
What I wanted to change was being able to KNOW what cup I was getting before picking it up. I’ve seen some really neat ideas on pinterest and it inspired this change.
I do believe the teaspoons and such will stay the way they are, except maybe better labeling in the future, but the cups will change locations at some point. The spot the cups are in, is where I envision the spices will be.
Before I dived into the drawer it looked like this.. You’ll notate the little basket that holds the teaspoons. 😉
It truly wasn’t not functioning well, and I figured having the drawer space opened up a bit might help me in other ventures throughout the kitchen.
When I finished, the drawer looked like this…
Just a bit more space. I’ll figure out what I’m going to do with it later.
I am rather pleased with how these turned out. I enlisted the help of my husband, who hammered in the little white nails for the teaspoons and such(I’ll show you those after the cups). At first we were trying to put the measuring cups in that location. After I realized that would not work, I put the cups on the board. It was EASY to put them there! Because it’s cork board, it was easy to re-position them where I wanted them.
Now to make it a bit easier. I printed off some labels (3/4 cup, 1/2 cup and so on) then taped them under the measuring cups. Simple! I can see making this LOOK better in the future, but for now I love it!
The measuring spoons will stay in their new found location, as they will be right next to the spices one day. They are out of the way, an easy to find. My husband hammered some white little nails side by side for my on the side of the cupboard, and I labeled in between them.
I decided to put the label under the top ones and over the bottom ones. I have lots of measuring spoons, so this seems to work for now. I can see labeling each spot with a pretty label someday too.
I put the labels on the same as the cork board, with printed out labels and tape. Works like a charm!
To give you all a little idea where the spoons and cup actually went, here is a visual of what it looked like before.
Now I have space in the drawer for something else that is out of place in that kitchen. As I plow through, I find out what that is.
This was a small step, but even small steps make big impacts. I cooked up some banana bread recently and enjoyed using this new system. Easy to put away, and easy to find! Score! 😀
My first step towards getting the kitchen organized has gone well. I am unsure WHAT I will try next week, but stay tuned, because this is ONLY the beginning!